Total Time: 45 mins.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 30 mins.
- 12 oz (375 g) elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Spectrum® Organic Olive Oil- Extra Virgin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Rice Dream® Original
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded vegan Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded vegan Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat Spectrum® Organic Olive Oil- Extra Virgin in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and thyme for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle flour over top; cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in Rice Dream® Original until smooth; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in mustard, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) vegan Cheddar and 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegan Parmesan.
3. Toss pasta with sauce; transfer to greased 11- x 7-inch (28 x 18 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining vegan Cheddar and vegan Parmesan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Sprinkle with chives before serving.
Substitute penne, orecchiette or small pasta shells for elbow macaroni if desired.