Total Time: 50 mins.
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Cook Time: 20 mins.
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) Coconut Dream® Dairy Free Beverage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coconut oil, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk (chilled 4 hours or overnight)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) toasted unsweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar; toss with melted coconut oil. Press into bottom and up sides of 9-inch (23 cm) pie pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown; let cool completely on rack.
- Filling: In heavy-bottom saucepan, whisk together coconut sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in coconut beverage and vanilla; bring to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats back of spoon. Remove from heat and stir in coconut oil. Stir in lemon juice; fold in coconut.
- Spread filling into prepared crust; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or until chilled and set.
- Topping: Carefully spoon out the firm, hardened layer of coconut “cream” on top of can into bowl (reserve coconut water for another use). Using electric mixer, beat coconut cream until light and fluffy; beat in coconut sugar.
- Before serving, top pie with coconut whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Substitute lime juice for lemon juice if desired.
- Alternatively, top pie with dairy-free whipped topping.